In 2015 I, Sallamaari Emilia…
- started my year in Finland and ended it in Florida.
- found a wonderful hairdresser through Groupon and cut my hair short. (Shoutout to Jonathan Salon and Marie-Pier!)
- travelled in New Orleans, Florida, Quebec, New York, and Finland.
- also spent a day in Oslo, Norway, unable to enjoy the wonderful summer weather because of my horrendous jetlag.
- did a 10k hike on a mountain. How do I feel about it? I have two words for you: never again.
- finished my first year of university and started the second one.
- started doing volunteer work.
- tried yoga, burlesque dancing, ballet and hiphop.
- got to know many amazing people all around the globe.
- received more compliments than ever before in my life.
- experienced the coldest Canadian winter in 50 years.
- started learning a new language, French that is.
Most memorable meals and foods of the year? Despite of the bad service, I really enjoyed beef pad thai at Oishi Thai in Miami. The best cupcake of the year award goes to D Liche and their strawberry-champagne cupcakes! The best bagels originate from New York, obviously, so must highlight the great Bagel Emporium in Tarrytown. As a connaisseur of cheesecakes, I must say that Club Kappeli in Helsinki delivered the most amazing liquorice cheesecake. The best vegetarian dish was served in 4 Saisons hotel; I loved their appetizer that consisted of polenta, chanterelle mushrooms and spinach.
Favorite TV shows and movies of the year? My favorite movie was ”IRIS”, a documentary about a 94-year-old interior designer Iris Apfel. I almost finished all seasons of the American version of the TV show ”The Office” that made me the biggest Steve Carrell fan – until I watched the very depressing ”Seeking a Friend for the End of the World”, which was probably my least favorite movie of the year. (I still think Mr. Carrell is like a good wine…)
S P O T I F Y
The First Song of the Year: Lana Del Rey’s ”Summertime Sadness”
Top 5 Artists:
- Pariisin Kevät
- Lana Del Rey
- Oh Wonder
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
Top 5 Tracks:
- Tove Styrke: Borderline (Salvatore Ganacci Remix)
- Gorillaz: Feel Good Inc
- Pariisin Kevät: Hän saapuu luokseni pimeydessä
- Foo Fighters: The Pretender
- Big Data: Dangerous (feat. Joywave)
Also happened, in random order:
I mastered the winged eyeliner. ** Great Halloween with wonderful people in creative costumes. ** Restaurant Day: Rice To See You! ** American Museum of Natural History with my nephew ** Being in the same bar at the same time with Johnny Depp – and missing him… ** Went from a readhead to a blondeshell. ** Mökki ** Being stuck in New York after a delay and many cancelled flights. Alone and without a credit card or American phone plan. ** Learning the value of caffeine before final exams. ** So many pictures of graffiti! ** Montreal Botanical Gardens. ** The Balm Cosmetics ** Full moon over the Atlantic Ocean. ** Being excited about Canada’s new liberal primer minister, the dreamy Justin Trudeau. ** Snapea Harvest Snaps **
Happy New Year of 2016!