SEOUL, South Korea – North Korean hackers have stolen a vast cache of data, including classified wartime contingency plans jointly drawn by the United States and South Korea, when they breached the computer network of the South Korean military last year, a South Korean lawmaker said Tuesday .
One of the plans included the South Korean military’s plan to remove the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, referred to as a ”decapitation” plan, should war break out on the Korean Peninsula, the lawmaker, Rhee Cheol-hee, told reporters .
Mr. Rhee, a member of the ruling Democratic Party who is serving on the Defense Committee of the National Assembly, said he only recently learned of the scale of the North Korean Hacking attack, which was first discovered in September last year.
It was not known whether any of the military’s top Secrets were leaked, although Mr. Rhee said that nearly 300 lower-classified confidential documents were Stolen. The military has not yet identified nearly 80 percent of the 235 gigabytes of leaked data, he said.
The Defense Ministry Spokesman, Moon Sang, refused to comment on Mr. Rhee’s Disclosure.
A Spokesman for the Pentagon, Col. Robert Manning, would not discuss if the hack had occurred, repeating, when pressed, that he would not ”discuss the specifics” of the incident.
Continue reading the main story
South Korea Plans’ Decapitation Unit to Try to Scare North’s Leaders SEPT. 12, 2017
Behind North Korea’s Bluster, Some See Caution SEPT. 26, 2017
North Korea Says It Has the Right to Shoot Down U.S. Warplanes SEPT. 25, 2017
PogoWasRight 3 hours ago
You owe the Keystone Cops an apology……….
Pocou 3 hours ago
More likely this false intelligence they were fed intentionally
Joe yohka 3 hours ago
8 years of Obama pacficism, while thugs around the world stole our secrets and armed themselves.
SEE ALL COMMENTS WRITE A COMMENT
North Korea and South Korea have long had each other’s computer networks in their sights. The United States, piggybacking on South Korean operations, broke into the North’s computer systems in 2010, targeting the Reconnaissance General Bureau, the North’s equivalent of the C.I.A.
South Korean intelligence officials told lawmakers in June that Mr. Kim was desperate to get hold of South Korea’s decapitation plan. He had also begun using his deputies’ cars as decoys to move from place to place, they said.
When the hack was discovered last year, the ministry blamed North Korea. But it has acknowledged only that “some classified information” was stolen, saying that revealing more details would only benefit its enemies.
Some South Korean news media, citing anonymous sources, had earlier reported that the leaked data included wartime contingency plans. But Mr. Rhee is the first member of the parliamentary committee that oversees the military to disclose similar details.
It has remained unclear how much the Hacking has undermined the joint preparedness of South Korean and United States militaries, with South Korean officials simply saying that they have been redressing whatever damage was caused by the cyberattack.
The military plans for dealing with North Korea have been rewritten in recent months by Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, in response to the North’s accelerated threats.
The plan containing the so-called decapitation operation, Operations Plan 5015, had been updated in 2015 to reflect the growing nuclear and Missile Threat from North Korea. Its details remain classified.